Master of Science in biomimicry
Applicants to the MS program typically are not interested in additional graduate work in their primary disciplines. Rather, students will have the opportunity to apply their existing disciplinary knowledge to the practice and advancement of biomimicry.
There is rapidly growing demand for biomimicry practitioners in industry. Graduates of the MS program will be able to:
- Lead in-house implementation of biomimicry across a variety of applications.
- Launch or expand a consulting practice in the field of biomimicry.
- Incorporate biomimicry into education for the next generation of biomimics.
- Develop innovative and sustainable solutions to the most pressing global challenges.
We expect graduates from the program to transform ways in which we conduct business, design buildings and products, run governments, provide healthcare, manufacture goods, grow food and educate future generations.
The MS in biomimicry is offered through ASU’s College of Global Futures. All coursework is delivered online in conjunction with Biomimicry 3.8 — the internationally recognized leaders in the field.
The MS program expands on the coursework for the graduate certificate in biomimicry. Of the 15 credits associated with the certificate program, 13 are eligible for credit toward the MS.
A total of 30 credit hours are required to complete this program:
Courses and electives
Required core courses (13 credits)
- Prerequisite: BMY 501 Essentials of Biomimicry (1 credit )
- BMY 502 Life’s Principles (4 credits)
- BMY 503 Biology Taught Functionally (4 credits)
- BMY 504 Biomimicry Thinking (4 credits)
Elective courses (11 credits required)
- BMY 511 Biomimicry and Design (3 credits)
- BMY 512 Biomimicry and Engineering (3 credits)
- BMY 516 Biomimicry and Business (3 credits)
- BMY 517 Human-Nature Connection (2 credits)
- BMY 598 Biomimicry and Chemistry (3 credits)
- Topic: BMY 598 iSites Biomimetic Nature Journaling (1 credit)
- Topic: BMY 598 Communicating Biomimicry (1 credit)
- Topic: BMY 598 Teaching Biomimicry (1 credit)
- Topic: BMY 598 Biomimicry Ethos (1 credit)
Practicum courses (6 credits required)
- BMY 580 Biomimicry Case Study Practicum (2 credits)
- BMY 580 BioBrainstorm Practicum (2 credits)
- BMY580 Biomimicry Genius of Biome Practicum (2 credits)
- BMY 530 Virtual Design Lab Practicum (2 credits)
For specific course descriptions please use ASU Catalog Search: (You’ll first need to log on to My ASU.)